- 1. What does Impression mean?
- 2. Overview and development
- 3. Advantages
- 4. Disadvantages
- 5. Relevance to influencer marketing
- 6. Best practices
Table of contents
What does Impression mean?
An impression is a key indicator that marketers can look at to evaluate their reach with a campaign. Specifically, it is a measure of how many social media users saw the content, or how many times the content shown on the user's screen. However, marketers must keep in mind, however, that seeing and reading aren't the same. Users may have scrolled past it in their social media feed or closed the window within a few seconds of viewing it.
The No. of impression can be used in both social media marketing and influencer marketing. This metric is used to evaluate brand awareness and attraction of new target markets in campaigns. If the campaign takes place on social media, then the brand needs to specify before the campaign starts that it needs the influencer to send them screenshots of the data. Businesses aren't able to record this metric otherwise. If a brand publishes an influencer guest blog on its own website, then the brand has direct access to the data.
Overview and development
This key indicator has been tracked in marketing campaigns for many years on the Internet. When banner ads were popular, it was one of the metrics marketers would track. Being able to track this metric online is one of the benefits of online marketing. When it comes to a billboard ad, marketers don't have a way of easily knowing how many people see it. Once social media marketing became popular, individuals who wanted to grow their accounts and brands began tracking this metric to monitor brand awareness and get an idea of how many people their content is exposed to.
- Brand Awareness: This influencer marketing metric is good for measuring the increase in brand awareness that results from the campaign. Naturally, the more people a brand reaches, the more customers it will have. And the higher the conversion rate, the more beneficial increasing brand awareness is.
- Attracting New Target Markets: Another situation in which businesses should track how many people view a piece of content is when the goal is to reach a new target market. Two other key indicators to monitor with this influence marketing goal are audience sentiment and audience data.
- Doesn't Tell You How Many People Read the Content: Although this influencer marketing metric tells you how many people landed on the page, it doesn't provide data on what percentage of those people read the content. Some people hit the back button either immediately or after reading a few lines. A metric to look at for that issue is bounce rate.
- Only the Influencer Can See the Data for Social Media Posts: If the influencer marketing campaign involves an influencer posting on social media, then only the influencer has access to the data on how many people saw the content. Brands must clarify before beginning the campaign that the influencer needs to send them this data, so they know to track and report it.
- Instagram Only Shows Data to Business Accounts: Influencers that don't have their accounts set as business accounts won't be able to show brands the data on how many people viewed a post.
- One Person Can Deliver as More Than One Impression: Another issue that marketers need to be aware of is if a piece of content is shown more than once in an individual's feed, it counts as more than one impression.
Relevance to influencer marketing
Marketers and businesses should know how to track this metric because measuring one's results is a crucial step in accomplishing business goals. Looking at the wrong metrics would be useless as well. Businesses must know which key indicators to use in each influencer marketing campaign depending on the goals of the campaign. Past results can be used to determine whether or not a business is improving its efforts in reaching more eyes. It can also show a brand which influencer has the highest reach. But brands must remember that the highest reach doesn't necessarily mean higher engagements and conversions.
To correctly track this metric, marketers should know how each social media site recognizes the content will be posted on tracks data and how to access it. In the event they need to get the data from the influencer, marketers need to include that information in their proposal. An influencer needs to know ahead of time that they're expected to track this data for the brand.
Some businesses are tempted to check the progress during the campaign, but it's usually best to wait until the campaign is finished. Also, realize that some platforms e.g. Facebook give the term a different name like “reach”. It doesn't matter what the metric is called as long as it's a measure of how many times the content is displayed in a user's feed. Businesses can also use an influencer marketing platform or consult with an influencer management agency for ideas on how to maximize results during the campaign. A platform will provide more visualized data and statistics of the influencer's profile as well as the campaign performance, while an influencer management agencies assist with successfully managing relationships with influencers.