- 1. Definition
- 2. Overview and development
- 3. Advantages
- 4. Disadvantages
- 5. Should all businesses use Instagram to do influence marketing?
- 6. Best practices
Table of contents
Instagram influencer marketing is the use of influencers on the social media network Instagram as part of the influencer marketing strategy. Brands can achieve many different types of goals with this type of marketing, such as increasing their number of followers on Instagram, boosting brand awareness, and increasing sales. To quickly find relevant influencers, businesses can contact an influencer management agency or use an influencer marketing platform. These types of influencer marketing company can help the brand build and maintain relationships with those influencers.
Instagram influencers usually like being paid on a post-by-post basis. Typically, there are three costs associated with paying influencers on this social network: usage rights, the creation of the content, and promotion of the content. Total costs commonly range from $500-$50,000. It partially depends on how large their following is too. Brands must pay higher rates for influencers with the higher number of followers as well as higher quality.
Overview and development
Instagram was introduced in 2010 for iOS mobile phones and quickly gained popularity among millennials. More than 1 million people signed up for the site within its first two months of existence. After a year, the social networking app had 10 million users. In 2012, an Android version was developed, allowing for further expansion.
As social media influence marketing took off, it became popular on Instagram. Almost all influencers operate on Instagram. This social media networking site will probably stay in the lead for influence marketing for many years to come. It has even taken over Facebook's spot as the top influencer marketing network.
- Effective for B2C Brands: Influencer marketing on Instagram is highly effective for B2C brands because it is a photo-centric social media app. Users will see a high-quality picture of a brand's product or the influencer using the product in some way to grab their attention. When they click on the photo, they can read the description where influencers have the chance to promote the brand in an engaging way. Those who are interested will look into the brand.
- Widely Used Platform: Instagram has 1 billion active users as recorded by Statista. Because the platform is widely used, just about any business can find success in marketing as long as they have the right approach and choose the right influencers.
- Weak for B2B Brands: In general, Instagram influencer marketing isn't ideal for B2B brands because quality photos are the core of this social network. Many B2B brands sell software or other digital products that don't make for the same kind of engaging photos such as gourmet donuts or stilettos. However, it sometimes works well for B2B with a little extra creativity. Lifestyle photos, for example, with a shoutout to the B2B brand can sometimes work. But B2B businesses should focus on finding authority influencers for good results. Businesses as customers tend to not care about the opinions of other types of influencers. They only care about the authority influencers in their field.
Should all businesses use Instagram to do influence marketing?
Although we can't say that every single brand should use Instagram to influence marketing, we agree that they should consider it and be aware of what it is. Some brands, most likely B2B companies, will conclude that Instagram isn't the right platform for their needs. Companies can find influence marketing success through other avenues as well. However, B2C brands will find it virtually impossible to ignore Instagram. That's how big its impact is for B2C influencer marketing. Most B2C influencers not only have Instagram accounts but have their best success there.
Instagram influencers like having creative freedom over what photos they upload for the brand. Instead of approaching influencers with specific photos the brand wants to be posted, businesses should create mood boards. A mood board is a collection of sample photos that communicate what feels the brand wants. This provides guidance for the influencer without squashing their sense of creativity and authenticity.
Secondly, brands should track and analyze the results of their influencer marketing campaigns. Before even beginning a campaign, they need to know which key indicators will be used to judge the successfulness of the campaign. Key indicators are easy to choose because they are based on what the campaign's goal is. Lastly, brands should learn as much as they can about influence marketing and either hire professionals or an influence marketing company/ platform to help with their campaigns.