- 1. Definition
- 2. Tagging on IG using location
- 3. Pros and cons of geotagging
- 4. The relevance of IG geotag to influencer marketing
- 5. Best practices
Table of contents
Instagram Geotag allows influencers to store their content under a specific location. IG is able to do this by using the physical location of a users mobile device. If an IG user allows the platform to target their whereabouts, they can tag their content down to the specific latitude and longitude of where they reside.
This is a particularly beneficial feature for influencer marketing as brands with physical locations can provide relevant content to followers who reside nearby their brick-and-mortar businesses. Aside from this, tagging content with a specific location is an incredibly useful influencer management method that can help influencers and brands increase the number of followers as well as their interactions between current followers.
Tagging on IG using location
Tagging via a specific locale is relatively easy to do through the Instagram app. All a user has to do is to “Tap” the “Add Location” icon featured on the New Post Screen. That is really all there is to it.
Aside from this, IG automatically provides a number of locations next to a user’s current location so that brands and influencers can choose where they want their content to be seen. A user can also type in a specific location that they wish to target and so are not limited to their current location or any nearby locations.
There are a number of other Instagram Geotag features provided by the platform that influencers should know about before starting any campaign. They are as follows:
- Creating a Location: This can be done using your Facebook account. Simply sign in to your Facebook account and head over to the “Create the Location” setting. From there enter brand-specific information such as name and address. Once done, head on over to your Instagram account and type in the name of your location. You should be able to see any content mentioning or pertaining to the specific location you created through your Facebook account.
- Stickers within Stories: IG allows users to apply a digital “sticker” to their content (photo or video) based on their location. Simply select the “Location” sticker and set it to your current location or choose your Facebook created location if you wish to use that instead.
- Using Hashtag Locations: Similar to geotagging, hashtag locations work in much the same way but as they have proven to be such an engaging influencer marketing method, they can be used alongside geotagging to increase local visibility.
Hashtag locations are pretty easy to implement as they can be used as any other hashtag on IG.
Here are some examples:
Similar to the geotagging method, you can also use a hashtag stickers to emphasize a specific location on any one of your stories.
There are some other creative ways brands and advertisers can creatively use geotagging to increase their reach and influence. These are as follows:
- Search Customer Base: Simply perform a search of your brand and locate where people are talking about your it. Then, target those locations through the geotagging feature the next time you put out content.
- Locate Local Influencers: Under the search tab, select the “Places” setting and enter the specific area you wish to target. The most recent geotagged posts will show along with the most engaging ones appearing under “Top Posts”. See which influencer among them fits your specific brand and then direct message (DM) them to see if they would be interested in a partnership.
- Encouraging Geotagging: Brands and influencers can ask their followers to tag their content by location. That way when they share any of the brand or influencer’s content the geographic location will also show up. This can create popularity for your brand over time and increase your own following on IG.
Pros and cons of geotagging
IG is becoming more and more a platform in which users begin their search for local brick-and-mortar businesses and that is why geotagging is becoming so popular these days among brands who have a physical store.
This in-and-of-itself is one of the major benefits of using IG’s geotagging features, yet there are other added boons to doing so, as can be seen below.
- Higher Engagement: Posts with a tagged location receive a 79% higher engagement rate than posts that do not include geotagging.
- Expanded Reach: Users who view a brand’s geotagged posts can also view all IG users posts which have the same tagged location.
- Targeting Customers & Influencers: Not only does IG’s geotargeting feature allow a brand to tag their posts by location, but they can also search posts via a specific geotagged locations to view where potential customers hang out and locate relevant influencers they can use for their influencer marketing campaigns.
Although geotagging is an essential component for brands with physical locations who wish to advertise to local customers, it can also be a detriment in certain circumstances. Some of the disadvantages of tagging posts by location can be seen below.
- Cyber Casing: While this mostly pertains to individuals who tag their photos and videos with their location, in some instances brands and individuals who sponsor those brands can also become victims of cyber-criminals who not only learn of their whereabouts but also their patterns of moving around. Some of the more frequent Cybercasing crimes include identity theft, burglary, and Cyberstalking.
- Irrelevant Audience: Even though IG’s geotagging feature does a really good job of sharing content to a target audience in a specified location, some of that content can end up being shared by followers to people who do not reside anywhere near the tagged location. This can cause some ineffectiveness in an IG influence marketing campaign as a particular audience targeted by location may not be so targeted after all.
- Over-dependence on Geotagging: Brand’s are sure to see a higher rate of engagement and reach through IG’s geotagging feature, yet they may miss out on other influencer management resources like Hashtag Stickers and IG Analytics because they are too focused on geotagging their content.
The relevance of IG geotag to influencer marketing
The importance and relevance of geotagging for brands and influencers on IG cannot be underestimated. Location-based searches are how many customers are looking for physical storefronts within their locality these days. In fact, in recent years IG, FB, and Twitter users have been increasingly searching for brands on their social media accounts more so than searching for them on popular business search portals like Yelp.
Using a location tag helps brands get discovered more easily as IG users are able to search for posts via location and therefore discover different stories, images, and videos that are within their area and may be of interest to them. The best part is that this can work even if a particular brand or influencer does not have a brick-and-mortar store.
For instance, if an influencer or brand wanted to bring some more attention to an upcoming event, they could simply tag the location on the post they send out to their followers so other IG users who are not currently following them get a chance to view it through a geotagged search.
This can also work for getting content noticed as well. An influencer or brand does not need an event or store in order to take advantage of location-based queries. If their content, product, or service is relative to a specific locality then they can still use the geotagging feature to increase awareness in this regard. Geotagging also can work for general “outreach” marketing campaigns but usually gets the best engagement when it used to target relevant locations specific to the brand’s or influencer’s message.
One last important note about geotagging is that it can be used not only for promotional purposes but for research as well. Brand’s can find IG influencer who often use location-specific tags in their post by searching for tagged locations as well. They can then DM them and ask if they would like to form a marketing partnership.
On a similar note, geotagging is also relevant for finding potential followers and customers by performing the same geotagged search when researching potential influencers but instead shift the focus to users who post about topics relevant to a brand’s product, service, industry, or niche.
Geotagging is a great feature offered by IG to get more engagement and followers on the platform. This does not mean, however, that randomly tagging every piece of content by location is going to automatically bring more reach and awareness. Like any other marketing tool, method, or strategy there are certain guidelines to follow in order to increase the chances of success.
Some of the top tips and best practices for using location-based tags on IG are as follows:
- Geotagging Strategy: Are you trying to bring more awareness to a physical storefront or event, or do you just want to target users in a certain area who have been known to purchase a specific product that your brand sells? This is of utmost importance as it will dictate what type of content should be tagged by location and which ones should not.
- Geotagging other Brands: This may not seem like it would be good for business, but taking photos or videos of other businesses you interact with (personally and professionally) in your locality shows followers and new viewers that you truly are from that place, which encourages them to interact with your posts and ultimately your brand.
- Spit-Test Geotags: If you operate in several locations, individually tag each one to different posts and keep track of which location gets the most engagement. This will let you know where to focus your marketing efforts in the future.